Cathodic Protection Cable is a single conductor cable that is intended to carry a DC current to anodes and cathodes in a cathodic protection system. This specification describes a stranded copper conductor with dual insulation. The primary layer of insulation is composed of KYNAR (also known as PVDF) a fluoropolymer material that has exceptional chemical resistance in the presence of chlorine, sulfuric acid, and hydrochloric acid. The outer insulation layer is a low density high molecular weight polyethylene (HMWPE), which exhibits superior dielectric and tensile strength, provides mechanical protection to the primary layer, and withstands considerable abuse during installation.
Conductor: Stranded Bare or Tinned Copper, conforms to ASTM B-3 & B-8
Primary Insulation: A natural PVDF fl uoropolymer (KYNAR) shall be extruded around the conductor
Jacketing Insulation: High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (HMWPE) shall be extruded over the KYNAR primary insulation, conforms to ASTM D-1248
Our KYNAR Cables are suitable for direct burial for cathodic protection systems such as pipelines, storage tanks, pilings, well casings, cables, marine crafts, and other buried or water-submerged metallic structures.
KYNAR provides resistance against:
- Sulfuric Acid
- Hydrochloric Acid
Operating temperature is 70 degrees Celsius
Voltage is 600 volts
1000 ft, 2500 ft, 3500 ft standard reel lengths; custom lengths are available upon request. Identified by surface printing indicating manufacturer, conductor size, and insulation type; custom print legends are available upon request.
KYNAR cathodic protection cable by Performance Wire and Cable is made with a fluoropolymer insulation that has exceptional resistance to chemicals. KYNAR cable consists of a layer of insulation on the conductor, followed by a layer of HMWPE (high molecular weight polyethylene) insulation. The KYNAR insulation is extremely resistant to chlorine, sulfuric acid, and hydrochloric acid, which the HMWPE alone cannot withstand. The HMWPE outer jacketing can provide flexible strength and can withstand much abuse during installation without damaging the conductor. KYNAR wire is available in 8 AWG through 1/0 AWG sizes.
Additional KYNAR Applications and Specifications:
- KYNAR/HMWPE cables are used as deep anode lead wires where chlorine and hydrogen gases are generated
- The KYNAR cable can be directly installed in fresh, brackish, or salt waters
- The primary insulation is a homogeneous 20 mil wall of natural PVDF fluoropolymer (Kynar) shall be extruded around the conductor
- The jacket is a 65 mil wall of high molecular weight polyethylene (HMWPE) shall be extruded around the primary insulation, and the jacket conforms to ASTM Spec D 1248
- For identification purposes, the cable shall be surface printed with “Manufacturer name Conductor size AWG, KYNAR / HMWPE CATHODIC PROTECTION CABLE.”
|AWG||Str||Diameter (in.)||KYNAR (PVDF) (in.)||HMWPE (in.)||Diameter (in.)||Lbs/Mft||Nominal DC Ohms|
For more information, or to request a quote, contact us today.